Want to Plan your wedding at Gretna Green?
Our three easy steps below will make it easy for you to plan and arrange your wedding.
Step 1: Check Legalities
So, are you wondering what's involved to arrange your wedding? Well arranging your Gretna Green wedding is easy, the first thing you have to check is the legalities...
2 people can marry here as long as:
- You are both of you are over the age of 16 years;
- You are capable of understanding the nature of the marriage ceremony and of consenting to marriage;
- You are free to marry
- You are not related within any of the forbidden degrees of relationship for further information please contact the Registration Office)
- And have two witnesses, also over the age of 16 (we can provide your witnesses if you are eloping to Gretna Green alone)
- For overseas couples please refer to the overseas section.
Step 2: Date and Venue
The next step in organising a Gretna Green wedding would be to choose from one of our lovely wedding venues.
You want your wedding to be memorable, don't you? Well here in Gretna Green we have a wonderful range of wedding venues in and around the area, including the most instantly recognisable venue, Gretna Green's Famous Blacksmiths Shop. Along with this historic venue we can also offer a host of small intimate venues right up to large scale venues to accommodate up to 200 people.
And , do you want a choice of wedding reception areas to choose from? We also have a host of reception spaces for you to choose from should you be thinking about a wedding breakfast and possibly inviting evening guests. Why not have a look at some of our wedding packages, special offers or even create your own Gretna Green wedding with our wedding calculator?
Once you've decided upon a venue then enquiring about your chosen date could not be easier, simply fill in an enquiry form or 'chat' to us online and we will check your available date for you right there and then*. Provisional bookings can be accepted for 2 weeks before you need to confirm your booking with us.
* Your wedding date cannot be confirmed until a small deposit is paid.
Step 3: Forms and Paperwork
You have chosen your wedding date and venue, so, what's next? It's really simple, after choosing your venue and date for your Gretna Green wedding each of you will need to:
- Fill out an M10 Form (Marriage Notice Form)** and take a look at the RM1 - Marriage in Scotland for information on legalities.
And send these to the Gretna Registration office along with:
- Both your Birth Certificates or an official copy/s (i.e. one made by a Registration Office)
- If either of you have been married before, you'll need your Decree Absolute
You will then need to send all of the above paperwork (where relevant) along with the Registrars Fee to the registration office:
Gretna Registration Office
Tel: 01461 337648
** PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE NOTICE PERIOD HAS CHANGED: COUPLES NEED TO SUBMIT THEIR M10 FORMS NO LATER THAN 29 CLEAR DAYS PRIOR TO THE DATE OF THE WEDDING DATE. **
Should you have any queries about the booking process then please do not hesitate to call +44 1461 336001 or email one of our wedding planners.